Thursday, March 6, 2008

don't waste your life

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. -Matthew 6:19-21

I am always inspired by John Piper, and especially enjoy listening to his sermons and reading the blog linked to his ministry, Desiring God. I've recently been reading his book, don't waste your life. The back of the book includes this quote:

"I will tell you what a tragedy is. I will show you how to waste your life. Consider this story from the February 1998 Reader's Digest: A couple 'took early retirement from their jobs in the Northeast five years ago when he was 59 and she was 51. Now they live in Punta Gorda, Florida, where they cruise on their 30-foot trawler, play softball, and collect shells...' Picture them before Christ at the great day of judgment: 'Look, Lord. See my shells.' That is a tragedy."

I will not presume to add much to Piper's words, but consider this as well; this tragedy is occurring all around us on a more common scale. Those who spend their free time, especially the golden years of retirement on trifles and hobbies will most often end up with nothing but dusty boxes full of unfinished projects of which their children will have to dispose. Even those whose brilliant projects shine on the covers of magazines will know on their deathbeds that those countless hours were wasted.

Think about this as you plan your upcoming weekend. I am guilty of wasting hours and probably years working on things which no one in their right mind would describe as "treasures," while I let the opportunity to build real treasures slip away. Dear Lord, please forgive me, and help me not to waste another minute.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wonderful reminder! I too have been studying that book with our ladies' Bible study group. It is a great inspiration! At the end of my life I don't want to say "Look Lord! See my shells?" I would like to have real treasures to lay at His feet. Our lives are made up of so few minutes. We mustn't waste them! I am asking God to fill me with such love for Him that I cannot help but share His love with others. That's a start. Mom R